Provincial Department of Education
An intelligent and skilled future generation
To empower Medarata school system to provide students equal and fair opportunity for high quality education
- Providing learning opportunities for students in compulsory learning age.
- Providing classrooms suitable for a successful learning process.
- Development of physical and mental wellbeing of students.
- Improvement of students through welfare and counseling.
- Teacher guidance for an effective teaching learning process.
- Providing sufficient quality input in schools to evoke the students to be more creative with activities from primary to advanced level.
- Developing students' technical and linguistic skills through the education process.
- Administration and regulation of activities for effective and productive application of human and physical resources in provincial education process.
Education zones and Schools of Central Province
|District||Zones||National Schools||Provincial Schools|
|Central Province total||15||54||1473|
|+94 812 225134|
|+94 812 225134|
Department of Local Government
Best Local Government System of the Island from Medarata that has excelled with good governance
Establish a successful system of local government in the province, through assisting in facilitating and guiding the local authorities to enable them to perform the duties and functions entrusted to them for the welfare of the people in an efficient and productive manner.
Local Government Institutions in the Central Province
|District||Pradeshiya Sabha||Urban Councils||Municipal Councils|
|Central Province total||33||06||03|
- Ensuring that all local authorities within the province exercise their powers and perform their duties properly with a clear understanding of their aims and objectives.
- Devolve the powers and responsibilities relevant to Local Government within the Central Province that have been vested upon Provincial Councils by the 13th amendment to the Constitution.
- Execute the powers entrusted to the Department by various acts, ordinances, rules, regulations and circular instructions related to local government.
- Ensuring that the local government institutions do not exceed their limits when performing their duties.
- Being responsible that the local authorities adhere to the policy decisions taken by the Central Government and the Provincial Council when carrying out their duties.
- Providing necessary instructions and proper guidance to local authorities.
- Ensuring financial aid, specially the imbursement of salaries, is made available).
- Efficient execution of departmental duties pertaining to personnel management in local government institutions.
- Ensuring development of establishments and manpower to maintain a high level of performance in local government institutions.
- Conducting research on local government and providing training and education.
|+94 812 202263|
|+94 812 202261|
Department of Land
“Satisfied society from Medarata through settled state lands"
Hold the ownership of state owned lands and affiliated resources in the Central Province while maintaining proper management that stabilizes the economical, social and environmental factors in applying them in various deployments.
The Department of Land is another department which comes under the purview of the Chief Ministry. The Department of Land hold sway over all state land in the Central Province and is responsible for the proper management of such land in terms of economical, social and environmental factors that have a direct impact on the effective utilization of state owned land. The specific activities the department undertakes can be clustered under five working objectives.
- Planning and Implementation of human-settlement schemes under the Land Development ordinance and issuing of grants for the distributed lands
- Granting approval of the Provincial Council to be abided by the state laws when alienating land for people, places of worship, general purposes etc.
- Granting permission for Land Kachcheri and approving the final list under Land Development Ordinance
- Granting permission for Land Kachcheri, releasing of land for residential, agricultural, industrial or commercial or state or local government institutes, granting lands under long-term lease and granting approval of the Provincial Council for transferring the annual license under State Land Ordinance.
- Implementing procedures related to releasing of lands, leasing for State Departments, Boards and Institutes of Local Government and Transfer of lands.
|+94 812 424463|
|+94 812 424463|
Department of Co-operative Development
“To be the leader in creating an excellent Co-operative community"
“To fulfill the statutory responsibilities according to the co-operative policy and the values of the Central Province in order to promote co-operative entrepreneurship and to establish a system of co-operative societies that upholds principals of good governance by acting as a resource person, consultant, facilitator and coordinator in the co-operation field"
- Timely and active updating of amendments of laws and regulations pertaining to operations.
- Registration of Cooperative Societies.
- Conducting statutory audits in Cooperative Societies.
- Improving the legal assistance framework.
- Liquidation of defunct societies.
|+94 812 201840|
|+94 812 201757|
Department of Cultural Affairs
A future generation that preserves artistic, cultural and historical heritage of Medarata
“Nourish and protect, developed places of worship and ancient monuments of historical and social value which foster the intellectual enhancement of mankind and develop creative literature and the writing of cultural books within the Central Province, a special region full of a cultural heritage where a variety of arts have been handed down from ancient times"
- Conservation of tangible heritage.
- Conservation of non-tangible heritage.
- Welfare of all sorts of artists.
- Enhancing of entertainment skills.
- Enhancing creativity in arts and literature.
- Work towards a society that respects ethics
|+94 813 843374|
|+94 812 238476|
Department of Trade, Commerce and Tourism
"A mid country replete with contented tourists and a business community."
Invested, facilitated and provided requirements in most accurate and fastest growing economic sectors in fair, equal and productive manner. Enhanced understanding of the importance of protecting and sharing our natural, cultural and ancient heritage so they may be preserved and enjoyed for future generation. Foreign and local tourist delighted with memorable experiences. Well trained human resources and well facilitated internationally appreciated accommodations and infrastructure facilities. The business community and the general public of mid country have been economically strengthened with the collaboration of private sector to shoulder the grown up national economy.
- Implementing Business Registration Ordinance and imparting knowledge on the same to Divisional Secretariat offices.
- Bringing together and empowering vendors throughout the Central Province by Divisional Secretariat level according to their financial objectives.
- Development of human resources.
- Developing infrastructure for the promotion of tourism.
- Development of designs related to trade, commerce and tourism fields.
- Providing financial aid and guidance for institutions engaged in trade, commerce and tourism industries.
- Promoting investment opportunities.
- Enhancing imparting of information.
|+94 812 3887118|
|+94 812 3887118|
Department of Engineering Services
"Engineering strength for the development of Medarata"
Providing latest consultancy and technical services for the development of Medarata through architectural and engineering designs and constructions whilst preserving its beauty and pride.
- Architectural designs, structural engineering designs, supervision and financial management.
- Providing vocational training for engineers and students following courses related to engineering.
- Providing laboratory facilities to test materials and thereby maintain standards of constructions in the Province.
- Providing consultancy services for building constructions on the request of Central Government.
|+94 812 205581|
|+94 812 205581|
Co-operative Employees Commission
"Empowering the Co-operative movement one individual at a time"
To improve the quality and quantity of the services through better welfare schemes and management and by ensuring active contribution of employees together with a change of their attitudes while providing adequate security of the employees in compliance with terms and conditions of the statute of the commission.
- Recruiting and promoting staff for co-operatives, preparing disciplinary procedures and probing into appeals related to them.
- Define salary schemes and allowances for cooperative employees.
- Enacting decisions of the Commission.
|+94 812 220102|
|+94 812 224247|
Library Services Board
"Creating a learning culture in the Central Province"
Human resources development essential for efficient and effective performance through maximum opportunities to handle data and information freely and continuously.
- Imparting knowledge on Library Management in order for the readers to obtain maximum use of the library.
- Implementation of library collaboration programs for exchange of knowledge.
- Implementing programmes to obtain and conserve books, manuscripts, and library books etc. that reflect the culture of the area. Promoting the library as an institution active in social betterment through discussions, conferences, quiz programmes, speech contests and lectures of learned scholars. Establishing library as an information centre for community services.
|+94 812 384032|
|+94 812 386169|